Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The big switch

My pulmonary doctor said we could look into switching to Veletri, from Flolan, after my right heart cath. As promised, he had the wheels in motion by the time I was home. Last week an Accredo nurse came to my house to monitor me during the switch.

Basically Veletri is the room temperature stable version of Flolan. It's the same medicine but contains a preservative that reduces the need of the medicine cartridge to be sandwiched between ice packs constantly (with the exception of those really warm days). Since Veletri has a different chemical structure, the nurse monitored my vitals for a short time to make sure I had no adverse reactions.

Several cartridges of Veletri can be made at one time and stored in the fridge until I am ready to use them. So now, when I travel to appointments, I should not have to mix medicine away from home. I can plan ahead on what days we will mix cartridges and then have some flexibility on the other days.

Not having the constant need for ice packs is liberating. It also lightens the IV pouch by about a pound. And, that makes a big difference when I must carry the IV pump with me everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment