Wednesday, November 13, 2013

No Whining

There was a time I was too busy. Too tired. So sore. I complained about the daily hurdles of life--grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. I kept thinking that I had to push through it so these things would get done. Because, well, you know, who is going to do them if I don't do them? If I didn't sacrifice my time and energy, I would have piles of stuff, unopened mail, dusty corners, un-returned library books, and dirty dishes. I'd have no groceries and nothing to cook and my family would suffer.

I complained. Yet, now I realize there were very few times I had ever really felt pain I couldn't work through. And, I never knew what fatigue really was. See, if I had really known what pain and fatigue was, there would have been no working through anything. If I was truly in pain and that tired I wouldn't have been able to cook, clean, or go grocery shopping.  Because, when it gets down to it, true pain and fatigue stops you in your tracks. You cannot do what you want to do. And, you cannot do what you need to do. Things pile up and don't get done. Meetings go unattended. Events and holidays never make it on the calendar. And, even though one's brain knows these things have to be done, or should be getting done, there is no time or energy to sacrifice. All time and energy has to be focused on just surviving the day, trying to accomplish the basics like brushing one's teeth, eating, showering, and breathing.

When I am well enough I never want to catch myself whining about the daily hurdles of life again. Please stop me if I ever exclaim, "Oh, I'm just so busy." And, remind me that if I'm that busy, the universe is probably trying to tell me something.

No comments:

Post a Comment