Friday, March 1, 2013

Sodium in what?

The PVOD has caused right-sided heart failure. And, the right-sided heart failure is causing edema in my lower legs, ankles, and abdomen. I am taking a diuretic, which helps reduce fluid in my body. But, as with any medicine, it creates a viscious cycle. Because of it I have to pee more. And, since it robs my body of potassium I have to take two very large potassium supplement tablets daily. I regularly consume more potassium too... because blood-work reveals I am on the low side.

Anyway, when I mentioned my issues with swelling at my last appointment it was suggested I pay close attention to my liquid intake, in addition to watching my sodium intake. I certainly want to avoid taking additional diuretics if possible so I'm trying. And, I'm proof that someone will not dehydrate on less than 8.6 cups of fluid each day. (And this includes soup, too.)

But this week has been worse. I have cankles. I think it's partly due to my newest "live it up" attitude and my recent additions and exceptions to my once very wholesome and natural diet. Darn these Unreal peanut butter cups.

So, I've been having to keep a closer eye on my sodium intake and have been looking up the sodium content of just about everything. Because of this I've learned some interesting things. For example, one cup of chopped carrots contain 88.3 mg of sodium. That's more sodium than what is in a tablespoon of salted butter. And almost as much sodium as what is found in two Unreal peanut butter cups. One cup grated carrots or two peanut butter cups?

I hobble on over to the kitchen and reach for a peanut butter cup and shrug. Darn carrots.

Let's not tell the nutritionists at Cleveland Clinic about this or they may take the boiled baby carrots off their heart-healthy menu side items.

No comments:

Post a Comment