Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A healing heart...

I returned Thursday night after two days of testing at the Cleveland Clinic. I'm still gong through the necessary steps for the lung transplant listing, and had several tests and blood-work done. The poking was never-ending. Every time a nurse, therapist, or doctor turned the corner, she/he was ready with some form of needle. I had blood draws from both arms, a blood draw from the wrist, a small series of injections on my upper arm for allergy testing, and the Hepatitis A and B vaccine in the other upper arm. I can be thankful though that everyone I encountered was pretty good with their aim. And, I got my favorite phlebotomist for the main blood-draw that required several vials. My husband saw her in action and commented later that it was like watching a magic trick. One minute she had the needle in her hand and the next it was in my arm and blood was coming down into the tube. This girl is good.

The two different blood draws at the same time is something that was implemented after an error in blood typing took place at Duke University about ten years ago. So now, in order to double-check and confirm a recipient's blood type, they have two different people draw one's blood. Two people armed with needles and two different pokes. Thanks a lot Duke University. I've had my blood typing done a couple times before and I am happy to report it has not changed. I'm still the same type I was a couple months ago... and the same type I was years ago. No surprise there. So, there should be no mistakes in that department, right?

The heart can be a resilient organ. And, if healthy otherwise, and treated well, it can bounce back from stress and trauma. And my heart, I'm happy to announce, showed a tiny bit of improvement. And, even though it was a tiny bit, I was happy. I have been told that, in my condition, as long as things are not getting worse, it's good. The heart is still working hard, still has a bit of fluid around it, and the the right side is still dilated. But testing reveals it's not working as hard as it was.

The diseased lungs appear to have responded well enough to the Flolan treatment. The Flolan dilates blood vessels and is very risky. It's an extremely powerful drug that is administered through IV tubing that runs to a port in my chest--a direct line to my heart. It is dispensed through a pump that I wear around my waist and the medicine cartridge must be kept cold--sandwiched between ice packs--at all times.

But drugs are stupid. Flolan doesn't just dilate blood vessels in the lungs. It dilates blood vessels everywhere. So, some of the side effects I have to live with include leg pain, jaw pain, and headaches. But, it's keeping me stable and that's the important thing.

I am still at a fairly low dose of Flolan, so we are going to try raising it again each week in very small increments now that my body has had some time to get used to it. When we attempted to raise it after returning from the hospital I didn't do well. The side effects overwhelmed me and my blood pressure dropped significantly. I was miserable for days. The doctor had me drop back down to the previous dose and I felt better. It's not unusual to feel awful the first couple days after increasing Flolan, but side effects should always return to a tolerable level and one should not experience a significant drop in oxygen saturation, blood pressure, or experience trouble breathing.

The lungs are not so resilient and a transplant is in my future. We know that things can change at any time. So, the social worker says it's time to think about fund-raising because we will need help. The transplant surgery is extremely expensive, even with insurance. And, the medications needed afterwards are expensive. There are other costs, too. There's the hospital stay, the after transplant care, lodging, travel expenses, food, etc. It feels uncomfortable to put this need out there but we cannot get through this alone.

There are non-profit organizations that hold donated funds for transplant patients and the social worker gave us information for a couple organizations to consider. I struggle with this. I never intended to be a financial burden on my family. We had always hoped to pay off the house and the student loans and help our daughter get through college when the time comes. We've always lived within our means and budgeted trips and larger purchases, avoiding the all powerful credit card trap. But this illness has ruined all of that planning. We now owe thousands in medical care. We are still paying on medical care I received last year. And, the bills continue to roll in, adding to the ever mounting debt and stress. So, even though I struggle with this, I know I must, for the sake of my family, be open to this type of help.

Speaking of help... April is National Donate Life Month. If you want to learn more about organ and tissue donation, visit the Donate Life website. Donate Life is also on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment