Saturday, April 27, 2013

Distractions

My friends are great. They pay attention. In fact, I've been reminded by those who don't live on Facebook (and are not close enough to check in on me) that I haven't posted since the 14th. I really should do a better job.

But, at times, I cannot focus and have no idea what to write about. Or, I'm just too tired to write... or think. The medicines and lack of oxygen to my brain have certainly made me less cerebral. I surprise myself at times. Some of it is just... well, so random. (I risk sounding like my daughter.) For example, I started watching the Ellen DeGeneres Show. Me watch TV? And it's not a documentary. I know! And, yesterday morning, I actually clicked an internet link to take me to Tiny Adorable Animals That Will Make You Squee. (Apparently squee is a word. Where have I been the last few years?) Then I was lured to click on another link: 32 Reasons Robert Downey Jr. Is The Most Perfect Man In The Universe. How could I not click that?

That Iron Man and me, we have something in common. We both need to be hooked up to devices that keep us alive. Tony Stark, the Iron Man character played by Robert Downey Jr., was hooked up to an electromagnet in his chest that kept shrapnel that was in his body from an explosion from reaching his heart. He invented an implantable version that made him more mobile. (Comic book nerds are welcome to correct me on any of the technical details.) In some ways, it's like the Hickman catheter implanted in my chest. But, in shape and style, it reminds me of the pendant-style oxymizer that is used to maximize oxygen concentration. I think I could have a terrific Halloween costume in the works. I'm just not sure an oxygen tank would fit in the Iron Man suit. Perhaps Stark Industries could come up with something. Hey Tony, can you work on that?

But I realize that even though Robert Downey Jr. is certainly a worthy distraction, an update is overdue. After returning from Cleveland we tried titrating up on the Flolan again. I didn't do well... again. I felt sick and agitated. My oxygen level was dropping more frequently and recovery time was longer. So, last Thursday I came back down to the same amount of nanograms I left the hospital on in January. Needless to say, there were a couple weeks in there that seemed more rough than usual.

Also, I'm getting better about being open to accepting help and allowing my life to be more transparent. I can no longer hide behind this nasal cannula or my super hero persona.

1 comment:

  1. :)
    I always watch for you on facebook, but I do like it when you update here.
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete