Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Oxygen

It has been a month now that I've been on oxygen. I think I would prefer to complain about how inconvenient it is, but it helps my oxygen saturation level. So, it is difficult to gripe about something that plays such an important role.

I haven't ventured out much since getting on oxygen. But, when I have gone places I've noticed people looking at me. Usually they quickly look away before I can give them a reassuring smile. Being that I'm in my late thirties, I assume they may wonder why I'm on oxygen. No stranger has asked yet.

The first few nights I felt depressed about being hooked up to a big air compressor with tubing in my nose. I hated listening to the hum, click, swoosh, hum, click, swoosh of the machine that has taken over the living room. I avoided looking into mirrors. I suppose, like those who see me when I'm out, I too was avoiding my response. The tubing that snakes across my face is, for the most part, the only obvious outward sign of my illness.

Most people walking around with oxygen are older than I am, but there are young people on oxygen for various reasons. I'll leave you with words from Christine, a 43-year old who will be on oxygen for the rest of her life: "I want to let people know that even those of us who use oxygen, whether it's part of the time or all of the time, our lives are what we make it.... Life is worth living no matter what your challenges are. My challenges get me down but I don't let the keep me down. I wear a smile and look forward for those happy days..." You can learn more about Christine and why she is on oxygen at her blog, Living on O2 For Life.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I know it seems like being connected to an oxygen concentrator is a daunting thing. I know that some people will stare because you are on oxygen. They stare because they are curious about you. I have stood in front of a mirror and looked at myself to try to figure out what people see when they look at me. I've realized that people are only human and they are going to see your oxygen. And that's ok because what they also notice is the happiness that you have for being able to get out of the house and find that joy that keeps you moving every day. I use oxygen, not just because I have breathing & heart problems but because oxygen gives me the best chance at a quality life.

    If you have a good friend who cheers you up, that you can go out with to have some fun, then take that friend aside and tell that friend your fears and capabilities (not just your limitations!). A good friend will know what to do. Just don't give up making your life the best that it can be even while using oxygen.

    ReplyDelete